Image Map

Monday 13 May 2019

Am I too old?

While browsing the Times Educational Supplement online, I came across this article 'Teachers over 30 are too expensive to keep'.
Credit: TES
As a teacher in my 30s myself, I found this article quite thought-provoking. I am an international teacher now and absolutely loving the life that I have currently (travel, great kids, career experiences, long holidays, more money!) but at some point in the future I do see myself returning to the UK. Will I be too old to get a teaching job if I'm not interested in leadership positions? I've never wanted to move into senior leadership as being in the classroom is where my heart lies. But middle management, such as a head of year or subject, may have to be considered as otherwise I'm just an 'expensive' teacher.

In terms of moving forward with my career, I've started a Masters in Early Childhood Education to enhance my CV when the time comes to move on from my current job, but I constantly wonder if I should be taking on additional responsibilities as well.

Although I bring experience and expertise to the classroom, will headteachers only see my age and pay scale?

What are your thoughts? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...