Image Map

Monday 13 January 2014

Top Ten Tips


Forgive me for the constant link ups that seem to be the only times I've managed to post recently! But I see one and then I can't resist! Today's is with Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep with some tips for those just embarking on their teaching careers (let's not ask how long ago that was for me!)


1. Top Tip for Classroom Organisation
Label everything and remember to file (or bin!) everything and anything that you aren't using that week. A messy desk and classroom lowers efficiency and productiveness. Plus if the children get trained where everything goes, you have to tidy up less! 

2. Top Tip for Behaviour Management
I've always used the Happy/Sad face idea for my tinies. Everyone starts with their name on the happy face. And telling them that moving them onto the sad face has made you sad by their behaviour. I think of it as a warning stage before the whole consequences of the whole school system. 

3. Top Tip for Being a Team Player
Pull your own weight. Share resources and ideas you have with your fellow staff and they will share with you. Remember they are likely to have more ideas to fall back on, but that doesn't mean you can't come up with some great inspirations too. Looking on teaching blogs helps!

4. Top Tip for Time Management
Write to-do lists, whether on paper or on your computer, make sure you write things down. Especially deadlines! I have a star system on Sticky Notes on my laptop where the closer to needing to be done, the more stars! And nothing so satisfying as being able to cross stuff off.

5. Top Tip for Engaging Students
Have a 'hook-in' to get their attention right at the start. This can be as simple as using a great context to set your learning objective around or an interactive, practical game or even a quick ICT link with a game or video on the board. 

6. Top Tip for Getting Along with Parents
Be polite, even if they are not. Answer any queries promptly and explained in parent-speak, not teacher-speak (think child-speak with slightly longer words). And write thank you cards for Christmas/end of year gifts!

7. Top Tip for Teacher Fashion
Wear whatever is comfortable and machine washable! Black trousers are great, but invest in a few 'power outfits' for those parent-teacher meetings (I do this to make myself look more grown up as I have the mixed blessing of looking about 10 years younger than my actual age)

8. Top Tip for Bargain Hunting
My most recent tip for this would be checking out the freebies available from teaching blogs! A great place to start is the weekly Freebie Friday link up hosted by Teaching Blog Addicts, but also keep an eye on your favourite bloggers for flash deals on TpT. 


Freebie Fridays


9. Top Tip for Eating Well at School
East breakfast! But also have some 'healthy' snacks squirrelled away in a drawer for when the munchies hit, I personally like cereal bars and my personal favourite (which I beg everyone visiting me to bring a box from the UK) Belvita! 

10. Top Tip for Staying Sane
Have a social life outside of teaching. By all means be friends with teachers from other schools and your colleagues, but have time with friends where you are not 'talking shop' all the time. But equally, have someone unconnected with your school life who you can moan too and say all the unprofessional things you can't to your colleagues (obviously you must trust this person implicitly!). 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...